Are Marshmallows Safe for Dogs to Eat?
It is not easy to provide a concise response to the question “Can dogs eat marshmallows?”
In a nutshell, marshmallows should be avoided at all costs around dogs since they are toxic to them. If your dog happens to get into a bag of marshmallows by mistake, it is crucial to know what potentially harmful components to watch out for and when to take them to the emergency room.
Dogs should not consume marshmallows since they are not a healthy treat.
Marshmallows that are made according to the traditional recipe (those that only include sugar, gelatin, and corn syrup) do not, strictly speaking, pose a threat to the health of canines. If a dog consumes one or a couple of them, it most likely won’t be harmful to them.
However, these sweet candies do not have any nutritional value, and in addition, they are loaded with sugar that is bad for your dog’s health as well as empty calories.
It is in your dog’s best interest if you steer clear of giving them this food and instead provide them with something that is better for their health.
If sugar is bad for you, do products that don’t contain it make more sense to choose? No, that is not the case. Many versions of marshmallows that are marketed as sugar-free or low-carb include xylitol, which is very hazardous to the health of dogs.
These are the marshmallows you should be concerned about. Possibly if your dog just eats one little marshmallow that contains this chemical, it has the potential to make them extremely sick or even kill them.
Risks Associated with Xylitol
Sugar-free items like marshmallows sometimes employ xylitol as a popular sugar alternative instead of sugar. Consumption by humans is quite safe, however, canines should avoid it at all costs.
When it enters their body, xylitol triggers a rapid release of insulin, which causes a sharp and potentially life-threatening drop in their blood sugar levels. This reaction happens somewhere between ten and sixty minutes after intake on average.
The absence of medication may result in seizures and, if untreated, death from low blood sugar. There is additional evidence that xylitol may induce damage to or even failure of the liver.
Risks Associated with Sugar
Sugar is nevertheless hazardous to dogs even if it is not officially considered to be poisonous. The incidence of dental caries, obesity, diabetes, and other conditions connected to hormones and the endocrine system in dogs is increased when they consume excessive quantities of sugar.
Additionally, sugar wreaks havoc on the normal, beneficial bacteria that reside in the digestive tract, which may lead to unpleasant digestive disturbances such as nausea and vomiting.
What You Should Do If Your Dog Has Consumed Marshmallows
If you find out that your dog has consumed even a small number of marshmallows, it is imperative that you identify the components that were included in the treat that was consumed by your dog.
Seek emergency veterinarian attention if the marshmallows include xylitol or chocolate, or contact an animal poison hotline for advice and direction.
Even if the marshmallows do not include xylitol or any other potentially dangerous components, there is still a chance that they may cause damage. It’s quite unlikely that a single ordinary marshmallow can make your dog sick, but giving them numerous may.
After you have made an attempt to determine how many marshmallows your dog has consumed (for instance, 12 marshmallows, a quarter of the bag, three bags, etc.), make an appointment with your veterinarian as soon as possible.
They may suggest that you induce vomiting in your pet in order to protect them, or they may recommend that you watch them for any troubling signs.
Signs and Symptoms to Look Out For
If you are concerned that your dog may have consumed marshmallows, be sure to keep an eye out for any warning symptoms. Remember that if you eat conventional marshmallows, which contain sugar instead of xylitol, you still run the risk of experiencing nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.
In the event that these symptoms continue or get worse, it is imperative that you contact your veterinarian.
Following intake, symptoms of xylitol poisoning might begin to manifest anywhere from 30 minutes to 12 hours later. Seek immediate veterinary attention if any of the following symptoms are present in your dog.
- Having trouble standing when walking
- A lapse in conscious state
Options for Other Kinds of Treats
Does your dog have a need for sweets? There are a lot of tasty foods that are good for you that you may share instead.
- Pleasant squash
When it’s time to give a dog medication, some individuals suggest they conceal the tablets inside of a marshmallow. Even if a standard marshmallow could be all right to eat once in a while, you shouldn’t make this a treat that you provide often or consistently.
Greenies Pill Pockets or a tiny quantity of cream cheese are better options for hiding prescriptions than anything else.
Keep your dog away from marshmallows.
Avoid offering your dog marshmallows as much as possible because of the myriad of health concerns that are connected with these sweet treats. Instead, you could offer them a dog-friendly piece of fruit or a snack that was created especially for canines.
Whether you notice that your dog has been eating marshmallows, you should immediately seek veterinary assistance and check to determine if the marshmallows contain any potentially harmful substances, such as xylitol.