Even while mushrooms might be beneficial to your grass, several species can be harmful to your dog if they are consumed in large quantities. According on the variety of mushroom, the amount of toxicity might vary significantly. Some mushrooms are entirely harmless for your pet, but others might be really dangerous for him. 




The identification of which backyard mushrooms are harmful to dogs is critical for ensuring that your pet’s safety when playing in your backyard. Throughout this post, we’ll go over the several varieties of mushrooms that are hazardous to dogs, as well as how to get rid of them in your yard.

The Different Types of Mushrooms That Are Toxic To Dogs

Out of the roughly 10,000 documented mushroom species across the globe, around 50-100 species are known to be hazardous. It is true that lethal mushrooms exist, but in very tiny numbers. The following are the varieties of mushrooms to be aware of.


Psilocybin mushrooms, hydrazines mushrooms, and isoxazole mushrooms are three subgroups of neurotoxic mushrooms that may produce neurological symptoms. Psilocybin mushrooms are the most well-known of these, although there are many more. The onset of symptoms will be rather rapid, beginning as soon as 30 minutes and lasting generally less than six hours.



The following is a breakdown of each subgroup:

Psilocybin: In most cases, the consumption of this sort of mushroom takes place inside the home rather than in the backyard. The effects of psilocybin mushrooms on dogs are dependent on the quantity taken as well as the size of the dog. These aren’t as dangerous as some other types, but be on the alert for symptoms such as tremors, vomiting, or diarrhea.


Gyromitrin is the primary component of concern in hydrazine mushrooms, and it is found in high concentrations in the mushroom. Weakness, tremors, and seizures are some of the neurological indications that might be associated with the intake of these mushrooms. Gastrointestinal symptoms such as diarrhea and vomiting are also prevalent.


Isoxazole: This kind of mushroom will produce symptoms such as incoordination, disorientation, hallucinations, lethargy, tremors, and even convulsions. Consistent with the other forms of mushrooms, stomach problems are typical.


Fortunately, these mushrooms are not generally lethal. The primary course of therapy will be to regulate your pet’s heart rate with a medication recommended by your veterinarian. Unless the dog drank a significant quantity, the symptoms should subside within 12 hours.





Fortunately, the odds of your dog ingesting nephrotoxic mushrooms are quite low. Although there have been instances of toxicity in people, there have been no cases of unintended poisoning in pets. Polydipsia, vomiting, and dehydration are all possible symptoms of a congested state.


 Signs and symptoms might appear up to 8 days or more after the onset of the disease, although they are normally visible within 12 hours.




Hepatotoxic mushrooms are the worst kind of fungus that may induce liver failure in your dog. This particular variety of mushroom is not just the most common cause of canine fatalities, but also of human mortality. They are most often observed in the Pacific Northwest, California, and the northeastern section of the United States.




What’s crucial to note about these very deadly mushrooms is that the onset of symptoms may be delayed for up to 12 hours. By the time your pet begins to exhibit gastrointestinal symptoms, it has already progressed to liver failure. In severe situations, death occurs within a day or two after exposure.



Early diagnosis is critical, so if you believe your dog has taken one of these mushrooms, take them to the veterinarian as soon as possible. Take a picture of the mushroom if possible to show your veterinarian so that they can be certain. If you bring your dog in early, your veterinarian may be able to induce vomiting and use activated charcoal to prevent the poisons from being absorbed.




Mushrooms that produce gastrointestinal symptoms are a subset of a larger category of mushrooms known as gastrointestinal mushrooms. The severity of the symptoms varies from moderate to severe depending on the mushroom. It is common for signs to appear as fast as 15 minutes and to last for less than six hours after consuming a substance.

The muscarinic mushroom is one fungus to keep an eye out for in this category. In addition to the normal gastrointestinal symptoms, they may produce bradycardia, bronchial secretions, and “SLUDDE” indications.



Despite the fact that these mushrooms are not normally lethal, you should nevertheless take your dog to the veterinarian. They can give fluids to keep your dog from getting dehydrated.

Toadstool Mushrooms

Toadstool mushrooms are more usually dangerous to people, but they may also be harmful to your dog. If swallowed, there will be indicators concerning the central nervous system, such as visual distortion, delusions, and disorientation.



In North America, these mushrooms may be found growing in woodland settings. They have a red, orange, or yellow top, and the stems have white dots on them.

Signs might be noticed ranging from 30 minutes to 12 hours following exposure. They include severe sedation, ataxia, miosis, stiffness, weakness, tremors, seizures, and, in extreme cases, coma or death.



If your dog is diagnosed early and treated immediately, he or she has a good chance of recovering. Even if you have just a suspicion that your dog has taken these mushrooms, you should take them to the doctor to be on the safe side.




Mushrooms Containing Muscarinic Agents

These light brown and white-spotted mushrooms contain toxins that may induce malfunction at certain nerve terminals. They may be found throughout the western regions of North America.



If you believe your dog has consumed a mushroom containing muscarinic compounds, notify your veterinarian as soon as possible. If your dog is diagnosed and treated promptly, he or she has a decent chance of surviving.




Signs and symptoms are generally visible after two hours of intake, and in some cases much sooner. Diarrhea, vomiting, stomach discomfort, and urine incontinence are all signs and symptoms to watch for. In severe situations, your dog may have difficulty breathing, wheeze, or cough.

Your veterinarian may be able to apply an antidote, such as atropine, to begin reversing the symptoms.





Symptoms of Mushroom Poisoning

The symptoms of mushroom poisoning will vary based on the species of mushroom your dog eats, how much he or she ingested, and the size of your dog.

The following are some of the most prevalent symptoms of mushroom poisoning:

  • Vomiting \ Diarrhea
  • Experiencing abdominal discomfort
  • Weakness
  • Lethargy
  • Jaundice
  • Uncoordination
  • Ptyalism
  • Seizures
  • Coma

What to Do If Your Dog Has Consumed Toxic Mushrooms

If you think or know that your dog has taken mushrooms that you believe to be harmful, call your veterinarian or a local Animal Emergency Room right away.

Because certain indicators don’t appear until it’s too late, it’s critical to bring your dog in as soon as possible. Waiting it out might result in increasing organ damage and the need for more harsh or costly therapies, which, unfortunately, may not be enough to save your pet’s life.



If at all possible, take a picture of the mushroom and bring it to your veterinarian. This will aid the veterinarian in making a diagnosis and administering the appropriate therapy.



How To Get Rid Of Any Toxic Mushrooms In Your Backyard

Regularly inspecting your yard for hazardous mushrooms will not take much of your time, but it might wind up saving the life of your pet. If you come across any, remove them and dispose of them appropriately.



How to Get Rid of Mushrooms

As soon as you see mushroom caps emerge on the ground, eliminate them from the area. If they are left for an extended period of time, they will release spores, resulting in the growth of additional mushrooms. You may just pick them from the ground or use a weeding tool to remove them.




While it may be tempting to mow or rake over the mushrooms, doing so may cause spores to be distributed throughout your lawn, defeating the objective of the exercise.



The Proper Disposal of Mushrooms

Remove and properly dispose of any mushrooms that have been discovered. Rather of tossing them in a compost pile, have a plastic bag on hand and throw them inside the bag after they have been plucked out of the ground. Tightly tie the bag and dump it in the trash to help prevent mushrooms from spreading their spores all over your grass.




Fertilizer should be used.

Use a nitrogen fertilizer to help prevent mushrooms from regrowing. It will hasten the decomposition process, leaving nothing for mushrooms to feed on.

Avoid using slow-release or water-soluble nitrogen fertilizers. Make careful to repeat this process on a yearly basis to ensure that the mushrooms do not reappear.






Final Thoughts
While not all mushrooms are harmful, being aware of which garden mushrooms are hazardous to dogs may help you keep your dog healthy and safe. In your backyard, always take a check around to ensure that there aren’t any mushrooms that may be harmful to your dog.



 If your dog develops any strange symptoms after being outdoors, it’s always a good idea to consult with your veterinarian.

We hope that after reading this post, you have all you need to keep your dog safe from hazardous mushrooms in your garden!